On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 11:36 AM Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> > DAS is direct-attached-storage. I don't think you want that.
>
> Depends. If it fits in the safe, and can be connected using one of these
> eSATA thingy connectors, it might be a very good choice.

First, I Agree about 300% with everything you posted in this response.
However
Rich and I have mentioned RPi 4 type solutions and I don't personally know
of any that have eSATA outputs, but it's possible. There are some RPi case
that can hold M.2 and SSD devices but the ones I looked at get there through
a USB port.

> > Synology (sp?) is sort of a big name in home & small office NAS boxes.
> > You can buy the boxes with or without drives. I suspect you won't like
> > the prices.
>
> I've been looking :-) I think the empty box costs more than the drives
> you're going to put in it ...

Certainly more than I would want to spend. However with Dale talking
about 14TB, 16TB, 20TB possibly not. I just cannot imagine Dale
spending that much money on hardware! ;-)

> > I wonder if you might consider what data on your backups needs to be
> > immediately available and which doesn't. Possibly buy an 8TB USB drive,
> > take a bunch of the lower priority data off of your current backup thus
> > system freeing space and move on from there?
> >
> > I built my NAS devices using old computers ala Wol's suggestion to me
> > maybe a year ago. They work for me but don't have the fastest network
> > interfaces.
> >
> I get the impression Dale isn't actually PLANNING his disk storage. It's
> just a case of "help I'm downloading all this stuff where do I put it!!!"
>
> How much storage do you have in your actual computer? How much space do
> you need IN ONE PARTITION? Can you get an external disk caddy that you
> just slot bare drives in?

This is a good point. With planning he could have multiple 4TB type
drives with 2 or 3 slots and you plug in the drive you want to use
that day. It would take some minor planning but it's not a huge deal
and as larger drives become less expensive over time he could swap
out a 4TB for 8TB or higher, etc, as he needed to.

If it has the performance he needs he could start with drives he
already has and then upgrade over time moving data around
after he does his planning. ;-)

- Mark