On 09/12/2022 13:38, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
Depending on the PVR make/model I've seen 1080p resolution recordings with
.m2ts and .ts file extensions, while the codecs inside them are the same.

I wasn’t aware that ts could contain h264. But then again—I never really
bothered with live TV recordings in recent years. These days, if I find
something interesting, I download the show form the TV channel’s website
(called Mediathek in Germany, a word play on Bibliothek, meaning library).
Interestingly though, the picture quality is noticably worse than what I
receive via DVB-T.

I think this is confusing CONTAINER and CODEC.

.ts is a container format, h264 is a codec. I don't understand it myself, either, but think of ts as your directory structure and h264 as your file structure.

Incidentally, sticking this stuff in a .tar is probably okay - that's just another container, but sticking it in a .tar.gz is not, the gz is your codec and will make the file BIGGER in all probability.

Cheers,
Wol