On 2023-01-14, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Saturday, 14 January 2023 07:00:29 GMT Nuno Silva wrote:
>> On 2023-01-13, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> > Hello list,
>> >
>> > Ever since the new year I've been getting a bounce message from this list
>> > - 19 of them so far. The first of those listed one message twice, most of
>> > the others six times. The message was 200359.
>> >
>> > I don't know what that message was, but why is the system Out There
> having
>> > such a hard time with it?
>>
>> Was the message from the list software or from a Microsoft system?
>
> I don't know - I haven't received it as far as I know. The only archive
> entries I've found are of this conversation.

And *now* I haven't received one of these messages I was talking about
(which would usually appear for every post of mine to the list, albeit
possibly delayed by a few hours), so I guess either the forwarding
problem was fixed or that person is not subscribed to the list anymore.

>> There's possibly one subscriber that has configured their
>> Exchange/Outlook account to forward e-mails to a Gmail account, and
>> forwarding as implemented by Microsoft apparently isn't done correctly
>> and so "SPF" checks run by Gmail are failing.
>
> Hmm. Would that cause the message to me to fail, in particular?

No, in the case I was writing about, it'd only cause you to get these
failure messages/reports delivered to you, I think precisely because of
the incorrect Microsoft forwarding implementation that'd present you as
the sender.

So it is delivery *to* you that's failing? Hm, seeing you mentioned one
of these message numbers that are internal to the list, I think I now
understand what kind of bounce message you're talking about, sorry for
the confusion.

Now was there (I recall asking about this previously, but I forgot what
the answer was) a way to get a message-ID from that internal number, or
at least a way to get the address of the message's archive copy on the
gentoo website?

--
Nuno Silva