On 31/07/2023 16:55, Peter Humphrey wrote:
On Monday, 31 July 2023 15:19:22 BST Wols Lists wrote:

The big question that needs answering is "Are you storing your emails in
dovecot, or in kmail?"

In KMail.

My server has fetchmail -> postfix -> dovecot. Fetchmail collects POP3 emails
from my ISP and forwards it to postfix, and dovecot serves IMAP4 to my
workstation.

So if Dovecot is serving IMAP4 to your workstation, the emails should be in dovecot, and cached on your workstation. For my setup, they're stored in dovecot, and cached in thunderbird ...

My backup method is simple: I archive KMail's emails daily to a local disk,
then shut the system down on a Sunday to back up the entire system to an
external USB-3 disk.

If kmail is caching them, chances are they're stashed away in the .kmail directory or wherever, in some standard format, and you can just back that up.

The server is taken down on a Saturday for complete system backup, to another
USB-3 disk.

Perfect, they're now backed up all over the place :-)

Cheers,
Wol