Jarry wrote:
Could some of you, gentoo-wizards, be kind enough and explain, what
is wrong in doing the things the way gentoo handbook recommends it?
Without offensive language, if I may ask...

Being a server guy I'll throw this one out as it hasn't happened yet, though I expect a fair amount of chaos when it hits.

When Postfix 2.2 goes live anyone doing virtual mail serving with a database backend will break because the sql syntax is different (and more powerful) in 2.2 than 2.0/2.1. Unless of course you change your configs to match.

If you're looking for an older example some combination of updates from Postfix 2.0.x to 2.1.x would cause queue corruption. The recommended way to update was to shut Postfix down while emerging.

kashani