Nick Rout wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:20:36 -0500
Derek Tracy wrote:

Part way through the online handbook I noticed that
they standardized the Stage3 install. I figured that since the developers
thought it was best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot.

I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I read the
handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and the 2005.1 handbook
stuck to stage 3.  (Talking x86 here, I have never done an instal on
other architectures).

Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:

"Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations using a stage1 or stage2
tarball are not supported anymore."

WTF? When did this happen?

The archived thread from the gentoo-releng list:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.releng/333

Note that it's not terribly difficult to use catalyst to build a stage1 from a
stage3:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/2.x/reference.xml

Zac