On Nov 19, 2005, at 12:39 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:

Patrick McLean schrieb:

Running a system withoug pam is a rather strange thing to do on a modern
Linux system, and I can think of very few reasons to do it.

What do you need PAM for, when there's basically just one
(human) user on the system and the system acts as a "consumer"
(ie. no servers)? Why add the complexity of PAM? Where's
the gain - in *THAT* scenario?

I'm not sure about you, but I can think of MANY times over my career when I set up a box "to do just one thing" or "for just one person" and down the road all of a sudden, I needed another thing or another person. Retrofitting pam onto a running, configured system is not something I'd care to attempt. Having pam on from the beginning, if you don't fiddle with the defaults, poses no extra complexity. But then, I'm a belt and suspenders man.

Alexander Skwar