Luis Ortiz wrote:
Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
[more...]

_glxgears returns following:_
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.

_nvidia-settings (under menuitem OpenGL/GLX information) return following:_
The OpenGL extension 'GLX' is not supported by
the X server or there was a problem retrieving
GLX information from the X server.

-Kristian Poul Herkild

Do you have:

Load "glx"

in the modules section?

Section "Module"
# [some other modules...]
        Load    "glx"
EndSection

--
Luis Ortiz

Yup

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"

and it's within the "Module" section. All it took was to uncomment the line. But it's not bad. I got the nvidia kernel to work and that's a major step forward.

However, AGPGART was not compiled as a module but compiled directly into the kernel which means NvAGP cannot be used, so now I'm recompiling the kernel with AGPGART as a module and I've added Option "NvAgp" "3" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf ... and then I'll have to do the nvidia-kernel dance again and if that doesn't do anything I'll come "screaming" again ;)

But at least the nvidia-kernel _does_ work :)

-Kristian Poul Herkild