Dale schreef:

> Hi guys, and Holly,
>
> I ran a revdep-rebuild on my main rig and it says it needs to do this:
>
>> [ebuild     UD] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.10.1-r2 [2.12.2]
>

> OK, the "U" means Upgrade right?  The "D" means downgrade right?  What
> the heck is going on here?  How is it going to upgrade then downgrade
> and why?

It's not going to "upgrade, then downgrade" It means that the upgrade
*is* a downgrade from the version currently installed.

This can happen for a number of reasons, but all the reasons relate to
the currently-installed package being "illegal" on your system in
Portage's view.

For example:

1. You installed the current version with "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~arch" on the
command line; because this is a temporary setting that Portage doesn't
remember after a new shell login, when a global Portage search is later
run, Portage sees that only stable packages are "legal" and downgrades
the upgrade;

2. The package has changed status since installation and is no longer
legal (for example, the dev team has discovered major problems and hard
masked the package, making it legal on _no-one's_ system-- this happened
to me yesterday with the bash upgrade);

3. The package that uses this package as a dependency cannot use this
version of the currently-installed lib as a dependency (has a hard
version dependency), so the package must be downgraded to serve as a
dependency for the package in your world file that's demanding it.

Etc., etc, enz.

> Here's the whole thing.
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # revdep-rebuild -p

<snip>

>> Collecting system binaries and libraries... using existing
>> /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files.

<snip>

> Can someone clear this one up for me?  I'm a little more confused than
> normal on this one.

You see that "using exisiting /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files"?

That means that you previously ran revdep-rebuild -p and the system is
using that output to run the actual rebuild.

It's quite possible that the previous --pretend was run before you
upgraded gnome-vfs, and the output of course does not know that the
upgrade has occurred (since it's using old output, rather than checking
the entire tree again).

I would say either remove all the /root/.revdep-* files in the tree and
run revdep-rebuild again (with or without -p, if you use -p then you'll
have to run it again without to actually perform the rebuild), or just
downgrade and then when you run another emerge -uaDtv world, you will
likely be offered the upgrade again-- and since you're using the --tree
option, you will be able to see what's bringing in gnome-vfs.

> While I am at it.  I don't use Gnome so why is it installing it?  I use
> KDE.

Do an emerge -upDtv gnome-vfs (after the downgrade, if you allow it).

That should show you what is bringing it in (the --tree view), and the
USE flags that package is using It's possible that you have the "gnome"
USE flag enabled for a package that "doesn't need it", or another USE
flag-- "eds" comes to mind" that forces the dependency.

Hope this helps.

Holly