On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:33:26PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> There will be a leap second between 051231 235959 & 060101 000000 .
> Does anyone know how the time servers used by NTP handle this ?
> Is it just left to the local machine to realise it's  1 sec  fast
> & adjust over a few hours or does something else alert it to correct things ?
> If the former, it could create problems for those running experiments;
> if the latter, does anyone know how it is done ?
> The last leap second was 1998/9 , before NTP was widely used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Unix_time

These _might_ help you understand this confusing subject.  For me
they just gave me a headache.  The best I can tell POSIX handling
of time-keeping is just broken.  In short, don't worry too much
about it.  If you really want to know what time it is use GPS time
(a sane TAI-based system), then convert that to UTC.

        Jonathan Kollasch