Abhay Kedia schreef:
> On Saturday 07 January 2006 20:47, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> So from this I deduce that
>>
>> 1) xorg 6.8.99 was *really* broken/incomplete or did something
>> radically different that etc-update and cfg-update cannot deal
>> with, since these files were never updated or offered to update
>> while I when I actually installed the package or at any time while
>> I was running the package (it's not like I haven't emerged anything
>> for the past two months); and
>>

> etc-update and cfg-update cannot handle it because they are not
> supposed to do it. The directory has been config protected so even
> though they are finding the new config files they can't over write
> anything until the protection is removed.
>

>> 2) these files are now irrelevant (since I have gone back to
>> 6.8.2-r6) and can be deleted without penalty; and
>>

> They are relevant but 6.8.2-r6 wants to install its own version of
> the files.

OK, so after reading this several times, I see my (first) mistake was
that 6.8.99 was not really under the auspices of 7.0 (Modular X), but
now I (think I) see that it is, and this config protect is a kinda
extraordinary measure until Modular X actually is released and makes it
into the tree, at which time it will become subject to the ordinary
Gentoo config management system, but until that time the config
management is living in a sandbox where it cannot be affected by, nor
affect, the stable config management system already in place. That's
about the only way the above makes sense to me, so I hope that it's not
completely contrary to reality :-) .

>> 3) these files are what is confusing the update utilities, and they
>> will "snap back" when these old-cfg and new-cfg files are deleted.
>>

> True.

Whew, at least I figured that much out :-D .

>> Does that sound about right? Xorg 6.8.2-r6 seems to be working OK
>>

> I have a feeling that you followed the "Migrating to Modular X.org"
> guide and uninstalled old version of xorg before installing the new
> version, thus deleting xkb files.

No, no Guide, and in fact no intention of Migrating to Modular X in any
way. My (mistaken) impression (but I was younger then) was that 6.8.99
was not yet modular X, so was (relatively) safe to upgrade to (or as
safe as an ~arch install ever is); I was in a desperate mood that day,
hoping that maybe this would fix some inconsistencies with my ATI
driver, but that didn't work out, which is why I went back to stable.

> The upgrade to 6.8.99, as expected, installed the new version of
> these files. Now, that you've downgraded, the old versioned files are
> trying to install again but since the directory is protected and
> already contains 6.8.99 xkb files, etc-update cannot update the
> directory.
>
> You are not facing any problem because you are most probably not
> using xkb or in other words the keyboard layouts. If you've never
> used different keyboard layouts then you can comfortably delete the
> new-cfg files and expect to face nil problems.

Don't I have to remove the folder from CONFIG_PROTECT?  No, wait, I get
it... you're saying that there's some kind of "secret if" in the config
updaters that says that IF such modular X files exist in one of the
protected directories, don't do anything, don't touch them, because that
would break the invisible wall that is keeping Modular X separate from
the rest of the system until Modular X has reached a point that it can
be correctly integrated into the system (which is what the devs are
working tirelessly to do).

But OK, I'll delete the files and then see what happens. Glad to know
that it won't trash me three ways from Sunday, anyway.

> I hope I made myself comprehendible. Please mind that English is not
> my first language :)

The English is great, it's the content I have trouble with, but I'm
catching up, I hope.

Hopefully in 5 minutes I can repost with a [SOLVED] on the end.

Thanks,
Holly