On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 16:40 -0500, Lance Jacobs wrote:
> I am trying to install wordpress on a machine that will become a server
> in a rack in a datacenter, so it does not need (nor do I want) X11 on
> it.  Right now, emerge is happy:
[snip]
> If I try to install wordpress, it wants to bring xterm, and therefore
> X11, with it:
>
>     [gromit ~ #] emerge -uDptv wordpress

hang on, that's "upgrading" wordpress, not installing it.  Try either
$ emerge -pvt wordpress
or
$ emerge -uDptv world
without wordpress, to see just where the xterm dep is coming in...

>     These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
>     Calculating dependencies ...done!
>     [ebuild  N    ] www-apps/wordpress-2.0.1  +vhosts 0 kB
>     [ebuild  N    ] x11-terms/xterm-207  -Xaw3d -doc -toolbar +truetype
> -unicode 0 kB

It appears xterm isn't a dep of wordpress, but emerge is just trying to
install it anyway.

If you're building a server, try setting your use flags to "-X -gnome
-kde -qt -gtk" etc, and try again.

> If I install wordpress without the -D option, any subsequent emerge with
> the -D option then wants to pull in xterm and all of that other stuff.

absolutely.  Leaving out -D isn't a fix, just a workaround...

> Looking at the wordpress ebuild file, I do not see any reason for it to
> have a dependency on xterm.  I'm probably missing something simple, but
> I just don't see it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I didn't see it either.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

Some people say a front-engine car handles best.  Some people say a
rear-engine car handles best.  I say a rented car handles best.
                -- P.J. O'Rourke