On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:35 PM, Zac Slade wrote:

On Friday 24 February 2006 00:03, Alexander Skwar wrote:
John Jolet wrote:
Remember, the fs cannot be mounted when you extend it.

That's wrong. Every FS can be extended online, even ext{2,3}
with certain patches IIRC.
WRONG!!! (or partially anyway)  Here's the rundown:
reiser3, resizable online in two ways
        1)resize_reiserfs /path/to/dev
        2)mount -o remount,resize /path/to/dev
XFS, MUST be mounted to resize use xfs_grow /mount/point
JFS, resizable online with a mount -o remount,resize /path/to/dev
ext2/3, resizable offline reliably. Online resize is a *very* experimental
experiment.  Have good backups.

For a good reference if one is ever needed to give to a friend, relative or
foe try http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html
okay, i'll rephrase.... being an old aix hand... with the (possible) exeption of reiser.... I, personally, would not trust any filesystem to resize without being unmounted. but then, compared to the aix lvm, which can be resized with oracle accessing at full speed, linux lvms are just barely getting to what I'd call "production ready". interesting to see that we're moving in an online-resizable direction on linux. :)