wu chuanwen wrote:

> Hi!
> I know kde can use prelink to accelerate.
> Can gnome do it?
> If it can,how?I know in kde we should change the file 99kde-env in
> /etc/env.d,but here i can't see any file relate gnome.
>
> Thank you in advance!

From http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml:

Most common applications make use of shared libraries. These shared libraries need to be loaded into memory at runtime and the various symbol references need to be resolved. For most small programs this dynamic linking is very quick. But for programs written in C++ and that have many library dependencies, the dynamic linking can take a fair amount of time.

Gnome is written in C and doesn't have this issue. Gnome startup is pretty fast. If you upgrade to the latest Gnome 2.14.x, startup is *very* fast. My AMD64 3200+ logs in to Gnome in only about 2 seconds from startx. I am really impressed with the speed improvements in Gnome 2.14 vs 2.12.

So to answer your question, no, it is not needed in Gnome since gnome is not written in C++ like KDE is.

Jim