On 5/7/06, JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
marcin wrote:
> On 5/7/06, JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> marcin wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone tell me how to "increase priority" for OpenGL?
>> >
>> > Thanks, Marcin
>>
>> I am using gentoo-sources with the Anticipatory I/O sched and did not
>> notice a slow down when I ran glxgears and nbench.  I get about 980 fps
>> on my laptop with or without nbench running.  What kernel sources are
>> you using?  Have you tried the anticipatory i/o scheduler?  Also under
>> "Processor Type and Features" set the "Preemption Model" to Low-latency
>> desktop and make sure you check "Preempt the Big Kernel Lock".  Scroll
>> down to "Timer Frequency" and set that to 1000 HZ.
>>

> At the moment I'm using ck-sources with CFQ I/O scheduler and voluntary
> kernel
> preemption. It's possible that this is the problem. I will try our
> settings.
>
> Marcin

Ah.  CFQ stinks compared to Anticipatory.  Google the Kernel mailing
list for CFQ vs Anticipatory.  There is a thread where Andrew Morton
show how Anticipatory blows everything else away.  You basically want
Anticipatory for everything but true server system that runs multiple
server apps and you want them to get equal time.

I just installed the latest ck-sources, I usually use gentoo-sources.  I
compiled ck-sources with the Anticipatory scheduler, low-latency
desktop, and 1000HZ and get about the same results as with the gentoo
sources.  Running nice -10 nbench didn't slow down glxgears much at all.
  Maybe 5 fps.  I did notice that I get about an extra 125 fps with
ck-sources as compared to gentoo-sources.  So it looks like I will stick
to ck-sources for a while and see how they do.

I've tried your settings and it doesn't help. I've rebuilt kernel
couple of times
but as soon as I run nbench glxgears fps drop to 5.

Also are you using nvidia driver? and if so with agpgart?

Regards,
Marcin