Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Maybe you can cat your /proc/mounts
> next time you're in that single-user mode? It might make things more
> clear...

3 power cycles later I duplicated the problem. Here is /proc/mounts,
transcribed by hand. There is nothing obvious wrong here (to me) except
that the filesystems are still rw.

/proc/mounts:
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw,noatime,nogrpid 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /usr ext2 rw,noatime,nogrpid 0 0
/dev/hda7 /var ext2 rw,noatime,nogrpid 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0

At this point, I manually remounted the 3 local partitions ro
mount -n -o remount,ro /
etc
which went cleanly, and /proc/mounts now shows them ro.

Is there any chance this could be a race condition thing, in which some
processes aren't fully shut down yet when
halt.sh tries to umount or remount? But they're all shut down now (a couple of
minutes later) so the remounts go cleanly?

Finally, after remounting the partitions (above), I pressed Ctrl-D to kill the
sulogin shell, and the machine rebooted. It didn't power off, as I might have
expected.

glen