Reordered to make it more readable.

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 15:56, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
> > > System.map not found - unable to check symbols.
> > > which doesn't seem to cause problems during/after booting (??).
> > >
> > > I did a manual kernel compilation
> >
> > To do this, I always do:
> >
> >     make all modules_install install
> >
> > This will do all the necessary steps.
> I tried the make all option and it added a /boot -> .
> Inside /boot. Also, a menu.lst file was created inside /boot/grub that
> points to grub.conf. Other than that there no changes/additions we made.

'make all' is supposed to compile the kernel, 'make modules_install' will
compile the kernel modules, 'make install' will install the kernel and 'make
all modules_install install' will do all three of those things.

> I rebooted and had the same problem occurring:
>
> System.map not found -- unable to check symbols

Could you provide the output of:

# df -h | grep boot
# ls -l /boot
# uname -r

And please no top-posting i.e. post your replies below whatever you are
replying to.

--
Bo Andresen