I upgraded my xorg-x11  the other day.  I followed the upgrade how-to, and
everything seemed to go fine.  However when I rebooted it was screwed up.
The xorg.conf was a mess.  I tried fixing it from memory but I couldn't sort
it, and I'd forgoten to make a back up MY FAULT.  Anyway I downgraded to
xorg-x11-6.8.2-r8 and got x back and sorted out the problem with the
xorg.conf and made a backup.  I then attempted another go at upgrading and
here's the problem.  I follow the guide again and after 'emerge xorg-x11' it
says there is nothing to download, compiles nothing, cleans up and claims it
is done.  I wasn't convinced, however I tried rebooting.  No X, so I logged
in and issued 'startx', nothing so I checked '/usr/bin/startx', it's not
there, clearly it hadn't installed x  So back to xorg-x11-6.8.2.-r8.  I've
tried another emerge --sync to see if that would fix the problem but no joy.
So the question is, how do I force portage to down load and recompile the
packages from scratch?

Matt
--
Dr. Matthew R. Lee.