Luigi Pinna wrote:
> Probably I found the problem:
> # setxkbmap -layout de -option "compose:menu,lv3:ralt_switch"
> Couldn't interpret _XKB_RULES_NAMES property

Googling for that line shows these threads:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/freenx-knx/2006-June/003552.html
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-05/msg00041.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2004-September/008855.html

The first one says that it is some error in Xorg itself, fixed in
more recent versions.

The second one suggests that you may have a mistaken symlink
somewhere as a result of downgrading.

The last one found this as a workaround:
setxkbmap -keycodes "xfree86" -types "default" -symbols "en_US(pc105)+de"
-geometry "pc(pc102)"

> What does it means? I generated the default config file with the
> new xorgconfig... It must write already the right rules...

Please post the relevant section of your xorg.conf again, plus the
output of 'setxkbmap -print'.

Benno