Justin R Findlay wrote:
> <ctrl>-s, <ctrl>-q seems to work for me.

This means one still has to monitor the output.

> In my /etc/make.conf I have:
>
> PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="info warn error log"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="mail syslog"
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Thank you for pointing this out. It is a new stuff for me. I'll
investigate the documentation and give it a try.

--snip

>  If you tell it to, portage will log every last
> configure and gcc statement spewed forth on the command line into
> /var/log/portage/.

Yes, I already have about 400MB of logs there. I still wonder when will
come the day I'll wipe them out. :)

> Gentoo generally overwrites C(XX)FLAGS only when they are problematic
> (unpredictable or cause breakage) for certain platforms/packages.  If
> you have a customized ebuild you can always drop it into your own
> overlay.  Mine is in /usr/local/portage.  If you have multiple overlays
> you can use gensync from the gentoolkit-dev package to sync with them.

The truth is there are only a few ebuilds I want to change something in.
Up to now in case I want to change something or the packages doesn't
compile the normal way, my practice is to use "ebuild `equery w
package-name` unpack", do my things in the temp dir, compile manually,
put a file ".compiled" and resume the installation.
May be I'll start using my own overlay after I collect "enough" packages.

--
Best regards,
Daniel