Hi,

Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 13:14, Colleen Beamer wrote:
>> Thanks to all who have replied, but my problem *is not* with my mouse.
>> I went through that issue the very first time I installed Gentoo and
>> know that I have to change it to /dev/psaux.
>
> Sorry, I only mentioned the mouse because it has been a regular xorg problem
> for me.  A couple of years ago I was also using /dev/psaux, but moved on
> to /dev/input/mice/ since and also changed the kernel config accordingly.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was lashing out. Like you, I had a
terrible time with my mouse the first time I installed Gentoo and now I
now how to get over *that* hurdle.  :-)

> Viewport refers to your virtual screen which is larger than the physical
> monitor screen.  Placing the cursor at the edge of the monitors scrolls the
> screen in that direction, until the edge of the virtual screen is reached.
> Useful in small monitors.

Ok.  Thanks for the explanation.  I now know that this doesn't apply to
me - my monitor is 19" and I have no need to configure it larger that
physical size.

> As far as know there is no section "Display" in xorg.conf.  I think you need
> to change that to Section "Screen".  Here's relevant extracts of mine for
> your perusal.
>
> This is part of my xorg.conf in case it helps:
> =======================================
> Section "Monitor"
>         DisplaySize 336 269 # 96 DPI @ 1280x1024
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "NEC"
>         ModelName    "NEC LCD1860NX"
>         HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
>         VertRefresh  55.0 - 85.0
>         Option      "DPMS"
>         Modeline  "1280x1024"   108.00   1280 1328 1440 1688   1024 1025 1028
> 1066
> EndSection

Well, obviously, I'm going to have to change this to something that
corresponds to my monitor.  I'm a bit frustrated because running Xorg
-configure used to give me a working configuration with the Monitor and
Screen sections completed.  I don't know what happened since going to
modular X

Anyway, I'm not sure that I understand some of the above - like
DisplaySize 336 269 ... what is this?  centimeters? and how do I know
that the resolution is 96 DPI?

I think I remember seeing something that explains the "Modeline" line.
I'll see if I can find it and figure that one out.

Thanks for the response.

Take care,

Colleen

--