Hi,

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:40:11 -0500
Colleen Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mick wrote:
> > Viewport refers to your virtual screen which is larger than the physical
> > monitor screen.  Placing the cursor at the edge of the monitors scrolls the
> > screen in that direction, until the edge of the virtual screen is reached.
> > Useful in small monitors.
>
> Ok.  Thanks for the explanation.  I now know that this doesn't apply to
> me - my monitor is 19" and I have no need to configure it larger that
> physical size.

You can omit the "Viewport" setting.

> > As far as know there is no section "Display" in xorg.conf.  I think you
> > need
> > to change that to Section "Screen".  Here's relevant extracts of mine for
> > your perusal.

Well, there *is* a "Display" subsection. xorg.conf(5x) seems to agree.

> > [xorg.conf excerpt trimmed]
> Well, obviously, I'm going to have to change this to something that
> corresponds to my monitor.  I'm a bit frustrated because running Xorg
> -configure used to give me a working configuration with the Monitor and
> Screen sections completed.  I don't know what happened since going to
> modular X

There are now sane defaults (they were there before Xorg 7.1...)

> Anyway, I'm not sure that I understand some of the above - like
> DisplaySize 336 269 ... what is this?  centimeters? and how do I know
> that the resolution is 96 DPI?

You should consider reading "man xorg.conf" for fast answers to such
basic questions: "This optional entry gives the width and height, in
millimetres, of the picture area of the monitor."

The resolution is calculated automatically based on that setting and
the mode in use. Mick just wrote it as a comment right after the actual
setting. Comments are introduced with "#" -- e.g. all those commented
out settings you have quoted in your xorg.conf's "device" section.

> I think I remember seeing something that explains the "Modeline" line.

Well, that would be the mentioned man page, too. But note that there
are a lot of VESA modes built-in, so probably you don't need a modeline
(start trying without). I think Mick could have omitted that, too. On
CRTs (opposite to LCDs), it may make sense, though: Using a modeline
you can max out the refresh ratio of the monitor.

-hwh