> Ah, the old local.start hack
>
> Apparently we should never use it for things like
> this. But we all
> do :-)
>
> As a solution it's OK to do this, as long as you
> always remember that
> you put it there - future updates often end up doing
> strange things
> because of the contents of local.start, and the
> machine owner meanwhile
> has forgetten all about it... :-)

I remember on an earlier installation I added the
mknod command to local.start and when the PC booted
there were dozens of lines in the boot console that
said something like "mknod: device already exists".
But not this time.

> Ok, those versons should be fine. It's been a while
> since I used those
> (I use ~x86), but there's no harm in emerging them,
> commenting out the
> contents of local.start and seeing what happens

IIRC the last time I updated baselayout it overwrote
some important files and my system was un-usable. In
all the excitement I failed to note what they were. Is
there a list somewhere?

-Maxim