On Saturday 14 October 2006 19:45, Mick wrote:
> I have a vhost account with an ISP and he's given me ssh access - which is
> nice.  However, his /etc/sshd_config is set to allow passwd authentication
> rather than public key and there's no ~/.ssh/authorised_keys dir/file in my
> home.
How does that matter?
You should be able to create that yourself.

> Is there a way to set up per user sshd login preferences so that some users
> can login using say passwd while others use keys only, or is there just one
> setting for the whole server through the /etc/sshd_config?  I am not sure
> how things work in a vhost setup so I though of checking first before I
> start asking them silly questions.  ;-)
ssh doesn't care about vhost

And yes you can, the default sshd config comes with an example:
# Example of overriding settings on a per-user basis
#Match User anoncvs
#       X11Forwarding no
#       AllowTcpForwarding no
#       ForceCommand cvs server