On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 21:54:01 -0600
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> David Relson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 01:00:31 -0600
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Does the problem persist if you use `eshell' instead of shell?
> >> (M-x eshell <RET>)
>
> There is an ansi mode that is made to hand escape sequences but that
> should not be necessary.  All recent emacs just work.
>
> That makes me think it is something in your environment.
>
> To get expert help I suggest you post on gnu.emacs.help  Or on
> gmane.emacs.help (same list).

Eureka!

A search for "ansi" at gmane suggested using ansi-term instead
of shell.  That gave me color but previous line editing and such were
different, which I'm not sure I like :-<

So I looked in /usr/share/emacs/... for ansi-term and found
ansi-color.el.  Comments at the beginning tell how to turn on color
within a shell.  This looks like what I want!

Thank you muchly.

David