On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:04:26 +0300 Andrey Gerasimenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the threads. My impression is that the way stabilization
> works should be described in a place of high visibility, at least in
> the FAQ. I beleive this question will be asked again and again if
> new users do not see how "stable" is defined early. If they see the
> definition, no questions will be asked. For example, I do not think
> that developers waiting for bug reports to stabilize an ebuild is
> either wrong or correct.  It is just a part of the current
> definition of the term "stable".

It is described in gentoo docs:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4

See part "Moving package versions from ~ARCH to ARCH". I agree that
this is perhaps not "a place with high visibility". Maybe it should be
included into FAQs.

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky