This isn't strictly a Gentoo question, but I'm setting up Gentoo box to be
used as a secondary DNS server, plus some other duties, and I'm hoping there
is a DNS wizard reading who can authoritatively answer my question.

First off the machine has three network cards, one with a (DHCP) private IP
(10.10.32.1) for talking to the local (Windows Domain) LAN. A second NIC
with a (Manually configured) IP address (69.12.134.79) that is publicly
registered (ns.debug1.com) as a secondary DNS for several domains. And the
third NIC has a (Manually configured) private IP address (192.168.0.1) that
will be used to "sniff" all traffic that crosses the DSL modem.

Obviously on a given system each NIC is usually connected to a different
domain, my question is, whether or not it is /legal/possible/okay to use
different *hostnames* on different NICs?

For example, in the scenario described above, assume the windows domain is
named "mydomain.lan," can I have 69.12.134.79 (NIC #2) resolve to
ns.debug1.com as that is it's publicly registered name, while IP address
10.10.32.1 (NIC #1) resolves to gentoo.mydomain.lan?

TIA
Bob Young
San Jose, CA.