On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:29:45AM +0200, Bo ?rsted Andresen wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 06:17:39 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Why do --nocolor and --color=n not work (sys-apps/portage-2.1.2.3)?
> [SNIP]
> > I am so tired of this crap.  Even editing /usr/bin/emerge to always
> > set output.havecolor to 0 doesn't disable color.  I have to copy and
> > paste into an editor just to read the error messages.
>
> Easier to just pipe the output into less.

Doesn't always work.  Whatever generates the color ignores TERM and
--nocolor and color=n, and doesn't always pay attention to where the
output is going either.

> > It has always been so; most portage commands simply aassume I want all sorts
> > of colorized messages on my screen.
>
> And it never occurred to you to just file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org? How are
> devs supposed to fix your bug if you don't report it? (that's rhetorical).

Certainly has, but the colorization decision has moved around enough
that I figure it was a moving target.  What would I file it against,
every python utility that screws it up?  I figured it was easier to
just edit color out of the damned programs after each update.
Sometimes I don't need to, sometimes I do.

Besides, the colorization is so blatantly awful as to obviously be
someone's pet little eye candy contribution; any bug report is very
likely to be dismissed as just some geriatric fossile who fondly
remembers teletypes.

This current outburst was a result of my dismay at finding the
colorization institutionalized in the output package, which a quick
grep didn't find, and editing havecolor = 0 all over didn't fix it
either.  Maybe, if it is now centralized, a bug report might actually
do some good.  But based on past performance, it will no doubt shift
around to some other package in a few weeks, so I will wait and see.

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933