Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on an amd64 system.
I have this video card:

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 7269
        Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 0d03

Which is actually this card:
R580 [Radeon X1900 XT] (Secondary)

according to this page:
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii//?i=1002

Anyway, it was a very arduous task setting up X, 3D and such with this
card on an amd64. Now it's time to update xorg-server, as part of
the routine software updates to a stable system, and it says that
ati-drivers is blocking the update:

blocks B      x11-drivers/ati-drivers (is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.0.0)

I'm using this version of ati-drivers, as it worked the most reliable
with 3D applications (BZflag) in particular.

x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.35.5  USE="acpi qt3" 0 kB

One thing that I as never really comfortable with is this make.conf
entry that I ended up using shich I gleaned from several wikis:
VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev fglrx vesa"

I'm still using an older kernel, (2.6.18-gentoo-r6)
so any advice on kernel versions  or options to use with this video
card are welcome.

Any advice on which 3D drivers options are now available for this
card or which version of ati-drivers I should install to keep
xorg-server-1.3.0.0 happy are welcome. The only information I
can find googling is not current with these newer versions
of ati-drivers, 2.6.20+ kernels, 3D and xorg-server 1.3.

James