On Tuesday 29 May 2007 10:32:23 Daevid Vincent wrote:
> *  mail-mta/exim
>       Latest version available: 4.67
>       Latest version installed: 4.54
>       Size of downloaded files: [no/bad digest]
>       Homepage:    http://www.exim.org/
>
> So I have this in my package.mask:
> >=mail-mta/exim-4.55
[SNIP]
> [nomerge      ] sys-process/vixie-cron-4.1-r10 [4.1-r9]
> [ebuild  N    ]  mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2  USE="ipv6 ssl -mailwrapper
[SNIP]
> [blocks B     ] mail-mta/exim (is blocking mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2)
>
> (also, I never understand the --tree option. Does this mean that
> "vixie-cron" is the issue, or "kdegraphics" is the issue? Being reverse
> order, I am guessing vixie-cron, yet it says "nomerge" so that seems
> like, why would it care, plus it's worked fine all these years with the
> exim I have installed.

vixie-cron has a run-time dependency on virtual/mta which can be satisfied by
both exim and ssmtp (and 8 other packages in the tree). ssmtp is the default
provider.

What has happened is that all versions of exim in the tree that you haven't
masked have been removed from the tree. I.e. there are no versions in the
tree below 4.55. Therefore it suggests installing the default provider of
virtual/mta which is blocked by the version of exim which is still installed
although not installable (not in the tree). It matters despite the "nomerge"
because it's a run-time dependency rather than build-time.

You have at least four options. The first option is to upgrade exim and hope
it'll work. I have no knowledge about exim so I cannot tell you whether it
will. The second is to restore the ebuild for your installed version in an
overlay (you can pull it from /var/db/pkg/mail-mta/exim-4.54/) thereby
restoring a non-masked version of exim.. The third is to add mail-mta/exim to
package.provided (see `man portage`). The fourth is to unmerge exim and use
another mta (I'm using postfix).

--
Bo Andresen