On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 06:08:52 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> > Well, but as kdenetwork-meta is a dependency of kde-meta, this
> > "solution" means, that about 300 packages should be manually
> > listed, just because one package is not wanted.
>
> No, because as I covered in my other reply, you can still use
> kdebase-meta, kdepim-meta, etc. to pull is all the packages from those
> parts of kde and only list individual applications from the parts you
> don't want everything from (in your case you should be able to use
> every kde<foo>-meta 'cept for kdenetwork-meta).  For your particular
> use case it's still < 30 packages, not 300.

It's less than that, because the KDE split ebuilds contain a number of
packages that should never need to be installed directly. One already
mentioned in this thread is dcoprss, which is pulled in by packages that
need it.

I'm not sure USE flags for the meta packages are a good idea, they could
add a lot of confusion. The meta packages are supposed to install
everything, if you don't want that, don't use them.

--
Neil Bothwick

Ultimate memory manager; Windows, it manages to use it all..