On Thursday 21 June 2007 19:40:23 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> Which package contains libnetsnmp-devel?

$eix -c snmp
[...]
[I] net-analyzer/net-snmp ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/28/2006): Software for generating
and
retrieving SNMP data
[...]

Probably that one, but that's just a guess.

Gentoo doesn't separate packages into -devel versions -- you get all the
development stuff as part of the base package (since it's usually required to
compile, as Gentoo does, pacakges that depend on it).

There isn't a "libnetsnmp" package in gentoo, nor a "netsnmp" package in any
of the *-libs categories.  Naming something "netsnmp" seems a bit redundant
to me anyway, I'm fairly sure the "N" of "sNmp" stands for "network", so I
just searched for snmp.  14 hits.  1 is in a *-libs category, but the short
description says it's specifically for KDE, not what you are looking for I
think.  1 (other) has "lib" in the name of the package, but it's specifically
for ruby, again, I was fairly sure that wasn't what you were looking for.
Also, other distros generally but ruby in the package name of ruby libraries.
Down to 12 packages.

I threw out packages in dev-perl and perl-python, again, because of other
distros naming practices.  1 package was in sec-policy which is definitely
not the place for a lib.  1 package was a plugin for something else, so I
decided that was also probably not what you want.  Down to 4 packages.

At that point, I decided the most likely package was net-snmp because of the
name.  bsnmp says it's a library (whereas net-snmp doesn't) so that would
probably be a good second choice.  snmpmon (a "tool") and snmptt could also
ship that library, but that's probably a stretch.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      ((_/)o o(\_))