I have a laptop with ATI integrated graphics. lspci shows the graphics card as:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS485 [Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP]

I have been unsuccessful in getting X configured to work with this card with dri enabled. I followed the guides at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml

and I've also Googled for a week with no success. With the x11 drivers installed, I get this error message when starting X:

(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

I've emerged ati-drivers and set make.conf to include the fglrx driver as suggested in the ATI guide. However when loading the fglrx.ko module, I get an error about "...taints the kernel". Thus I suspect I have some option set in my kernel that conflicts with the fglrx module?

I'm at a loss. Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction toward the steps needed to get 3D acceleration on my laptop? Should I be using x11 or ATI drivers? And if ATI drivers, any idea what is might be conflicting in my kernel?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!