> On 8/10/07, Don Jerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         On 8/10/07, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         > Hello to all,
>         >
>         > I'm in need of a portable video camera(or rig), such as the
>         > sony SR82, but one that is gentoo friendly
>         > for video transfer.

After playing around with video camera's for a few years, I have come to
the conclusion that the best way to go is the hard-drive based models,
such as the JVC everio series (their 3CCD model looks nice).

I've done lots of firewire video capture over the years, including a few
amateur wedding videos, and the biggest pain is capturing and storing
the footage.  With a HD model camera, you just plug it in like an
external hard drive (JVC works this way, I assume others would be the
same) and download the video files.  No need to worry about how to
encode, because it's all done for you, and at the exact aspect ratio and
quality that the camera recorded in.  Very fast!

A mini-DV camera takes 1 hour to download (capture) 1 hour of footage.
A mini DVD camera only stores about 1/2 per DVD.  A HD camera can store
10+ hours, and take only 10 minutes to download it!

>          Hopefully I can find a video
>         > camera that transfers directly to a gentoo
>         > sytem via usb 2.0?

HD would definitely be the way then.

>         > Another nice feature would be the ability to use
>         > the laptop screen for viewing  (while recording)
>         > instead of looking at that 2.7 in popout screen.

you can do this with kino and firewire.  Works fairly well actually, you
can even get the audio if you want to use headphones (or laptop
speakers).

>         > A remote control (wireless or via the usb cable) from
>         > a gentoo linux system would be keen.

again, kino and firewire will let you pause, record, ff, etc., but not
pan and zoom.

>         > Am I dreaming or has somebody seen a linux friendly
>         > video camera.  My target is to record video at
>         > football and basketball practice where my kids play.

Hope this helps - not exactly a complete remote control option, but
maybe it will do?

cya,

If you push the "extra ice" button on the soft drink vending machine, you won't
get any ice.  If you push the "no ice" button, you'll get ice, but no cup.