Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:

> After playing around with video camera's for a few years, I have come to
> the conclusion that the best way to go is the hard-drive based models,
> such as the JVC everio series (their 3CCD model looks nice).

Hello Iain,

I got a sony DCR SR42, but, if I cannot mount via the usb on the docking
station, then I'm going to return it.

> I've done lots of firewire video capture over the years, including a few
> amateur wedding videos, and the biggest pain is capturing and storing
> the footage.  With a HD model camera, you just plug it in like an
> external hard drive (JVC works this way, I assume others would be the
> same) and download the video files.

Well this camera does not have usb right on the camera. It's on the
docking station and that just my be why it does not show up, no matter
what I try.....

No need to worry about how to
> encode, because it's all done for you, and at the exact aspect ratio and
> quality that the camera recorded in.  Very fast!
>
> A mini-DV camera takes 1 hour to download (capture) 1 hour of footage.
> A mini DVD camera only stores about 1/2 per DVD.  A HD camera can store
> 10+ hours, and take only 10 minutes to download it!

Yes, standard Mpeg2 (DVD) is what most put out. That is easy to use
under linux. Are you downloading wide and viewing it on a wide screen
LCD TV? If so does your video card have hdmi out or what cabling are you
using from your linux system to the to the LCD TV?

> again, kino and firewire will let you pause, record, ff, etc.

I'll give kino a whirl, when I get the cabling straight. It sounds
like I'm going to have to test these cameras in the store before
making the final purchase.

Thanks for the advice.

James