On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 04:24 +0000, James wrote:

> I got a sony DCR SR42, but, if I cannot mount via the usb on the docking
> station, then I'm going to return it.

I would tend to agree - if it has a HD and USB, it should show up as a
USB HD!  (what a pain to have to install special software, like you do
for canon, just to get the files off...)

> > I've done lots of firewire video capture over the years, including a few
> > amateur wedding videos, and the biggest pain is capturing and storing
> > the footage.  With a HD model camera, you just plug it in like an
> > external hard drive (JVC works this way, I assume others would be the
> > same) and download the video files.
>
> Well this camera does not have usb right on the camera. It's on the
> docking station and that just my be why it does not show up, no matter
> what I try.....

the JVC had usb on the camera and on the dock.  Both seemed to work the
same.

> Yes, standard Mpeg2 (DVD) is what most put out. That is easy to use
> under linux.

the biggest problem I found was that they named the files .MOD even
though they were mpeg2, so nautilus came up with it's "I'm not going to
open because I think the name is wrong" message.  Other than that, they
play fine.

>  Are you downloading wide and viewing it on a wide screen
> LCD TV? If so does your video card have hdmi out or what cabling are you
> using from your linux system to the to the LCD TV?

No actually, I edit and preview on my 16:10 15.4" laptop LCD, but
usually hand it out to people who may have anything!

> > again, kino and firewire will let you pause, record, ff, etc.
>
> I'll give kino a whirl, when I get the cabling straight. It sounds
> like I'm going to have to test these cameras in the store before
> making the final purchase.

maybe.  At least you know it'll work the way you want.  Or just do what
I did: convince your brother-in-law to buy it, then take it straight off
him to play with :)

> Thanks for the advice.

no worries.

Let me take you a button-hole lower.
                -- William Shakespeare, "Love's Labour's Lost"