Hi All,

I am trying to find out how I can see what encoding my vim is using.  Also
would be good to know how to set it to a different encoding, if I need to.

Some other questions that may help me understand how encoding works:

 - My /etc/vim/vimrc says scriptencoding utf-8, does this mean that this is
the vim encoding and any new file will be saved with this encoding?

 - If I open a file which was saved with ISO-8859-1, edit it and save it, will
it keep the original encoding?

 - The vimrc says: " Make sure we have a sane fallback for encoding detection
set fileencodings+=default"  I guess this is system default.  How can I find
what is the default setting?

Sorry if these are simple questions but never got my head around encodings and
charactersets.
--
Regards,
Mick