On Saturday 18 August 2007 06:30, Philip Webb wrote:

> I've successfully mounted the stick & copied a file onto it:
> it seems you have to 'umount' it before the file is really stored.

For performance reasons a write-cache is used - changes to the filesystem
aren't effected immediately. Issuing a 'sync' command or 'umount' will
force the changes to be written immediately.

> Also, 'df' continues to show it mounted after 'umount /dev/sdb1',
> but deletes it after 'umount /z/usb' (the dir I mounted it under):
> this seems a new distinction, as either have worked with other devices.

Unmounting either the device or the mountpoint should be the same. Maybe
you have unwittingly mounted the device twice?

> I'm amazed how small the stick is: a spy could easily swallow it
> (grin).

The size of usb plug is the limiting factor. Look how small the micro-sd
cards are!

--
Crayon