Neil Bothwick wrote:

All that would do is increase the number of disaffected users. You need
to read the documentation and use the command line to use Gentoo
effectively, hiding that behind a pretty pointy-clicky installer until
the system is installed and then hitting the user with the truth can leave
them feeling conned. What is wrong with being honest about the situation
and telling people up front "if you are not prepared for some reading and
typing, Gentoo is not for you".

The Gentoo Installer Project has some good goals, but attracting people
for whom Gentoo is not the right choice should not be one of them.

+1

My 2c - the live cd is great - providing a nice environment for installation, and what sort of installation you may ask?... well a character based installation of course - following the fine instructions in the handbook!

I think we need to realize that Gentoo is a 'mildly expert required' type of distribution - and thats a good thing! For those who want graphical-point-click there is Ubuntu et al (I used Yellow Dog for a while for this very reason when starting out with Linux).

regards

Mark