On Jan 11, 2008 11:02 AM, Michael Schmarck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shaochun Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo. I
> also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast. To
> install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
> Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
> and install from there. No need for an install CD.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped
> without a loss.
>
> Michael

I'll try to make you understand it.....

GRML ? Knoppix ? other LiveCD ? What for, man ? Using extra rescue
systems is a liberty, of course, but why should it be a must ? I
always installed my gentoo from the current gentoo installCD since I
see no gain in downloading and burning one more system... when I have
a portage-inside one at disposal ! I don't want to take care about
versions and news about other distros/rescue systems, since I am using
Gentoo which provides me all I need to setup. So, of course, as far as
one of linux distro at least will provide a way to boot up an
up-to-date kernel, all the other distros won't have to maintain their
own releases, but in the end, I am not sure that the whole community
wants to launch the Windows Ubuntu installer, download the required
packages manager from the web and update the system from the good
repository.

Gal'