On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Eric Martin wrote:
> > Anybody that feels they *need* or *must have* an official Gentoo
> > installer is probably the wrong target market and should be
> > referred to other distros that will suit their needs better. This
> > is not a troll or an elitist statement, it's just recognizing what
> > gentoo is and what it isn't - it's not a distro suitable for
> > someone to whom chroot isn't yet second nature.
> >

> I don't think it's an elitist statement, I agree in thinking that we
> shouldn't cater to the lcd.  There are plenty of distros out there
> that work just fine and the greatest thing about FOSS is choice.  If
> all of the options are the same there's no point.  Again though, I
> have to disagree with the point that it's not for somebody whom
> chroot isn't yet second nature: I learned chroot through the install.
>  I've tried playing around with Fedora / Ubunttu but I keep going
> back to Gentoo; it's my favorite distro.

I know my statement about chroot looks like it should be taken
literally, but it wasn't meant that way. Read it more as illustrative,
that the potential user should be reasonably familiar with the more
unusual commands in *nix systems - chroot, grep, the idea of pipes and
redirection and many many more. After all if they are going to be using
these tools, they should know something about them.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com