080111 Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Shaochun Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Currently, Gentoo has not updated its installation CD for a long time!
> Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo.
> I also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast.
> To install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
> Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
> and install from there.  As far as I'm concerned,
> the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped without a loss.

I had to use it to set up my 64-bit system 0710xx :
Knoppix didn't have a 64-bit kernel
& SystemRescue couldn't connect to my ADSL Internet line.
I installed by hand following the steps in the manual with a few tweaks
for my own personal needs.  I didn't like the Gnome desktop on the CD
& wondered why it doesn't use eg Fluxbox, but that's personal taste (smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]