Hi Grant,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I'm hoping to use the vpn in three few ways:
>
>  1. imap and smtp between my laptop and the mail server
>  2. ssh from my laptop to the remote server
>  3. cups printing from the remote server to the print server

I don't think you need a VPN to SSH from your laptop to the remote
server -- SSH is already encrypted.

If your laptop is always behind your local firewall, then it should be
sufficient to have an OpenVPN tunnel established between your local
firewall/print server and your remote server. This should allow you to
print.

Configuring the routes on your laptop to go through your local
firewall and VPN to the remote server should allow you to grab your
mail.

If you move around with your laptop then you'll need to establish the
VPN tunnel to your remote server anytime you need to grab your mail
from anywhere else but home (behind your local firewall).

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  IMHO you should always go with routed first, then bridged if you need
>  it.
>
>  Ask yourself this question: do you really need ethernet traffic to go
>  through the vpn? There are cases where it could be useful, but I'm hard
>  pressed to find a general case.
>
>  With a routed vpn, you work with IP addresses, just like you do on the
>  internet.

As Alan said, try going with routed first.

Also, think about whether you really need this. As mentioned above,
SSH doesn't need to be tunneled over a VPN. IMAP and SMTP can be
encrypted too. That leaves printing, for which you could use VPN.

Have fun!
Mike