On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Your statement "it seems like running SSH inside a VPN is better
> > for security than running SSH on a non-standard port" is
> > non-sensical. From a security and encryption perspective, ssh and
> > OpenVPN are exactly the same thing - stuff wrapped in an encryption
> > layer provided by ssl, complete with exactly the same key setup
> > should you choose to use that route.
>
> Perhaps confusingly, ssh itself can be used to create openVPN-like
> VPNs (actually, much simpler), using the -w option and a couple of
> tun (or tap) interfaces on the connected computers.

hehehe, I'd forgetten about that one for a bit :-)

I just thought of a nice way to describe the difference (seeing as
technically they are essentially equivalent):

Use SSH if you need a quick ad-hoc connection or something temporary.
Use OpenVPN if you need something more permanent that is always prsent
and just works.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com