Hi group,

Notice in the following portage has nothing to say
about "blockers" following a warning from
revdep-rebuild. And the -u switch calls forth an
earlier version of python but without the -u switch is
content to re-emerge the newer package which I already
have on my system.

This was all precipitated after emerge xcircuit I was
advised to upgrade tk and tclx and then
revdep-rebuild.

emerge -u tk just said zero packages to emerge. Not
"no ebuilds to satisfy 'tk'", zero packages. emerge -u
tclx upgraded to a slightly newer version however...

localhost heathen # revdep-rebuild
Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...

Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a
package update
will be emerged.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_bsddb.so
(requires  libdb-4.2.so)
  broken /usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/_bsddb.so
(requires  libdb-4.2.so)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot  =dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6
=dev-lang/python-2.3.5-r3
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! Error: the <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 package
conflicts with another package;
!!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the
same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine
blockers.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please
refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture
is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

revdep-rebuild failed to emerge all packages
you have the following choices:

- if emerge failed during the build, fix the problems
and re-run revdep-rebuild
    or
- use -X or --package-names as first argument (trys to
rebuild package, not exact
  ebuild)
    or
- set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~<your platform>" and/or
/etc/portage/package.unmask
  (and remove /root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order to be
evaluated again)
    or
- modify the above emerge command and run it manually
    or
- compile or unmerge unsatisfied packages manually,
remove temporary files and
  try again (you can edit package/ebuild list first)

To remove temporary files, please run:
rm /root/.revdep-rebuild*.?_*
localhost heathen # emerge -puv python

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r4 [2.3.5-r3]
USE="gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -berkdb -bootstrap
-build -doc -examples% -nocxx -nothreads% -tk -ucs2"
7,190 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 7,190
kB
localhost heathen # emerge -pv python

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4-r6  USE="gdbm
ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -berkdb -bootstrap -build
-doc -examples -nocxx -nothreads -tk -ucs2" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0
kB

But xcircuit seems to work OK. Is it safe to just
ignore this? I mean, I just completed emerge -uD world
a couple of weeks ago.

Maxim