On Sunday 02 March 2008, maxim wexler wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Notice in the following portage has nothing to say
> about "blockers" following a warning from
> revdep-rebuild. And the -u switch calls forth an
> earlier version of python but without the -u switch is
> content to re-emerge the newer package which I already
> have on my system.

Um, yes it does have something to say about blockers. It explicitly
states that python-2.3.6-r2 conflicts with something else (probably
python-updater):

> !!! Error: the <dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 package
> conflicts with another package;
> !!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the
> same system together.
> !!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine
> blockers.

You have a python-2.3 and python-2.4 on your system,probably left over
from ages ago, as emerge will not by default unmerge an older SLOT when
you install a newer SLOT of a package.

You can probably get rid of python-2.3 safely, but first find out what
is using it:

equery depends =dev-lang/python-2.3.5-r3

If nothing, then unmerge it, but first you might want to make a backup
(just in case):

quickpkg =dev-lang/python-2.3.5-r3

then run python-updater

Now do
emerge -avuND world
to make sure everything is up to date followed by
emerge -av --depclean
and
revdep-rebuild

--