On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 12:42 -0400, Steven Lembark wrote:
> > I tried ALT + SysRq + EISUB today on my MythTV backend server which
> > has been crashing lately. Unfortunately it's crashing so badly that
> > even at the server's keyboard this didn't work.
> >
> > I guess my weekend fate of building a new server is sealed...
>
> Have fun.
>
> Check out motherboards with watchdog capability
> and enable it in the kernel.

watchdogs are nice, and linux makes them ultra-easy to program, but of
course if your watchdog task dies, then the machine effectively hits the
reset button for you - no nice shutdown whatsoever!  (Which is what you
want in a hard lock-up, but not if your programming skills are the cause
of the problem :)

cya,

Evil is that which one believes of others.  It is a sin to believe evil
of others, but it is seldom a mistake.
                -- H.L. Mencken