Enrico Weigelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > First, libcdio had an illegal license change: the "authors" took a lot of
> > the
> > code from cdrtools and claim that "their" code (e.g. derived from cdda2wav)
> > is
> > GPLv2-or-any-later. Well, not a single file from cdda2wav has ever been
> > released
> > under this license.
>
> Ah, then you as the original author (right ?) to stop them from
> that copyright infringenment. In the end they, IMHO, have two options:
>
> a) remove/replace your code
> b) release libcdio under your terms (CDDL ?)

I am not the person who did put the code together as "libcdio". This was the
FSF. We are talking about a Copyright violation done by the FSF.

> > If you run sound-juicer, then gstreamer (being LGPL) loads and calls
> > libcdio
> > which is GPL. This is not allowed by the GPL. GPL and LGPL are incompatible.
>
> ACK. That's one of those points why I thing, libraries should LGPL
> instead of GPL (I admit, I'm as careful as I should be about that w/
> some of my own packages yet, but just due lack of time - on request
> my GPL'ed libs will be moved to LGPL)

The FSF has no choice to make the code LGPL, converting from GPLv2-only is
already more than they are allowed to do.

> BUT: please, please no flamewar about license philosophies.

I am not interested in license wars. I get the impression that some people
start flamewars because I am relaxed about licenses and do not try to make a
religion out of a license.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)