Hello folks. I have an Asus EeePC 701 (4GB) and I'm having problems
installing Gentoo on it, so I wrote this giant e-mail to help you
understand what is going on and what I have done and can't do.
I have been using Gentoo for a while, so I am pretty comfortable on
installing it and configuring it.

"Disks" on my Eee:
Internal Flash (4GB): /dev/sda1 -> Ubuntu 8.04 (blergh, not for long) :-)
SD Card (8GB): /dev/sdb1 -> Gentoo 2.6.25-gentoo-r7

The Gentoo system is ready. I mean, it is still text-mode only, but I
have some ideas about the other stuff to be installed, continue reading,
please. :-)
The problem is that I just can't boot the system. At first, I thought I
had forgotten something when configuring the kernel. But I gave up that
idea since me and a friend of mine re-checked it many times.
I have installed Gentoo's grub on the MBR of /dev/sda, since I intend to
remove Ubuntu later. The kernel hangs because it can't find /dev/sdb1
[1]. The system I consider a minimum usable text-mode system is already
installed, configured and even up-to-date.
I have tried a lot of different things. I tried booting Gentoo using the
Ubuntu kernel. Sound reasonable, but Ubuntu's initrd (which later I
realized is the one that recognizes my "disks") already mount /proc and
when Gentoo's RC comes up it "oops" because of /proc [2]. Since booting
Ubuntu's kernel is just temporary, I won't edit the init.d script that
mounts /proc on Gentoo. Anyway.
By-the-way, something that is worth mentioning. When booting Ubuntu's
kernel, it sometimes (not always) hangs at this point [3]. It stays
there for four to five MINUTES, sometimes. But some other times is just
goes straight. Even when "hanging" there for a while, it always passed
that and boots the system. Also happens when trying to boot Gentoo with
Ubuntu's kernel.

I have done tons of online research, but what I found is people that
successfully installed Gentoo on the EeePC.
I've read and bookmarked these links [4] [5] "just in case", but so far
they didn't help me at all.

[1]: http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/eee/Gentoo-Kernel_Gentoo.jpg
[2]: http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/eee/Gentoo-Kernel_Ubuntu.jpg
[3]: http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/eee/Gentoo-Kernel_Ubuntu2.jpg
[4]: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Asus_Eee_PC_701
[5]:
http://www.floccinaucinihilipilification.net/wiki/index.php/Gentoo_on_the_EEE_Pc

I have ideas about installing the graphical system and other stuff
later. I intend to share the ideas and will as soon as my basic system
boots. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

Saffi

--
Ricardo Saffi Marques