On 9 Aug 2008, at 01:05, Yoav Luft wrote:
that was actually interesting, but it didn't help me much... I do not manage the network, neither do I have any knowledge of it's working. I asked the help desk guys to help out, but all they managed is to get me someone that knew, after a 2 hours work, to mount the directories I needed manually.

Hi there,

If I'm understanding correctly that all you want to do is mount the directories you need automagically then is put the details in /etc/ fstab. http://preview.tinyurl.com/5vywbm explains how to keep credentials in a separate file.

Aside from this, I'm afraid I'm not fully grokking what your intentions are. Merely mounting a couple of Windows file-shares on a Linux box isn't really integrating it into the AD domain. I have to admit that in my eagerness to sound knowledgeable I probably wasn't paying full attention when I read your message prior to replying yesterday.

In an ideal world users should use their domain username & password to log on when they sit down at the Linux box. And they should be mounting the directories they need off the file server by (double- clicking on a drive icon on their KDE desktop if necessary and) using their same unique credentials (*not yours!*). If you want to fully implement this then it's not a two minute job; you shouldn't need much from the Windows IT admins except the name of the domain and perhaps the resolvable name of the domain master server - you should be able to test using your own domain\user:pass

Google is muchly the enemy of your enemy. For your punctuation question I hope you find this a good starting point:
http://www.google.com/search?q=samba+codepage

Stroller